First of all, it was a REALLY COLD DAY with winds gusting to around 50 mph and snow predicted. Not the best traveling day of the year. But we were determined to make it to Elwood to attend Ryan's Eagle Scout Court of Honor scheduled for 4 p.m. Richard and Carlee were going to meet us at Chris and Ryan's at 1:30 and we'd all ride together in their van. So Pete and I went to our ward choir practice at 12:15, stayed for the first 20 minutes of Fast and Testimony meeting, then headed over to Inskeep's place. Pete was in his blue pickup (after a hospital run) and I was driving the Avalon. We arrived a few minutes before Richard and so I waited in the car because it was so dang windy and freezing cold outside. When Richard arrived Pete unloaded the boxes of potatoes we were taking and I put my salad fixings in the back and we all piled into the van. Thankfully the roads were clear with just a few blasts of snow here and there--we arrived in good time and enjoyed the Court of Honor. Ryan was awesome! The delicious refreshments were devoured in minutes by the up-to-then fasting crowd.
Afterwards we went to Steve and Denise's home to enjoy a BLAINELESS BIRTHDAY PARTY (Blaine & Nikki decided to skip it due to blowing and drifting snow between Burley and Elwood--good choice). Denise dipped into her food storage to produce a delicious pasta entree (Nikki was going to bring lasagne), and along with my green salad and Chris's hot French bread, we had a great meal together. An over-the-hill birthday cake in Blaine's honor was yummy.
When we left to head back to Idaho it was still cold, but not much wind and the roads were clear. However, around Malad it started to snow and the roads got worse and worse and worse, and you could tell it had been snowing a lot since we passed that way earlier--probably Blaine & Nikki's storm hit that area. I sat in the front with Richard on "pins & needles," while Chris and Ryan relaxed in the far back seat watching a movie. Pete and Carlee were in the middle seats working on Carlee's math homework (how FUN is that!?) Richard faced the horrible roads and snow blowing in his face while I huddled up in a tense ball of nerves. Around Blackfoot the winds had picked up and were howling again, this time in the opposite direction of what we faced earlier in the day. Richard thought that was totally unfair to his gas mileage status! But the roads were clear at this point (no way the snow could stick with gale-force winds) and we sailed on to Shelley, arriving a little before 10 pm.
At Chris and Ryan's Pete jumped out of the van first while I hunted around for all my stuff. When I opened the car door I was met by an icy blast that nearly toppled me. I ran to my car and hopped in, pleasantly surprised that it felt so warm and cozy inside. I noticed that Pete was outside chipping the ice off his windshield while mine was perfectly clear. "How nice," I thought, "that he'd turn my car on to get it warm and clear my windshield before he did his own . . . and all in 30 seconds--what a SUPER HERO!!!!! I drove happily and warmly home. Back in the house I thanked Pete for his thoughtfulness, and he replied, "I didn't do anything!" It took a few minutes for the reality to sink in that I had left my car running the whole time we were gone--8+ hours! I felt like the BIGGEST DUMBEST LOSER! (don't you think I deserve the "grand prize"). My gas mileage for that tank will probably be lower than Richard's. Oh well . . . IT WAS A GREAT DAY ALL IN ALL!
Flag presentation at Ryan's Court of Honor:
The Blaineless Birthday Party Decor:
Time Out:
6 comments:
How funny--I can't believe your car was out of gas. I'm glad it didn't get stolen. I'm glad you made it home safely--those conditions sounded horrible. Thanks again for coming. I'll post some more pictures on our blog later today.
I meant to say I can't believe your car "wasn't" out of gas. Don't be too hard on yourself--just recently someone in our ward did the same thing only they locked the car with no one in it and didn't have a spare key--so the car ran all day waiting for the dad to come home with another key. All the neighbors were concerned. :)
Pete had filled up the gas tank the day before when we were planning to drive. I checked this morning and it only used 1/8 of the tank! And I'm ALWAYS the one barking at Pete when he leaves the keys in the ignition . . .
Mom, that is quite the story! I would have felt dumb too, but I know I've done dumber things that I won't admit too:) I'm glad everything turned out okay and amazed that it only used 1/8 tank! Aside from the Blainelessness, the Blaineless party sounded fun!
That is hilarious!! I must be rubbing off on you, Arlene. Thanks for sharing. At least you didn't remember that your car was running while sitting in the court of honor?! That would have ruined the whole vist. Sorry I missed out on the fun but glad you could all ride together. Thanks for helping Carlee, Peter... any time we get a break from her MATH is very welcomed.
Post a Comment