Tuesday, March 10, 2009

MORE GOOD STUFF FROM THE PAST

It seems like I have been living in THE PAST lately--guess there's not much very exciting happening around here RIGHT NOW. So here is an excerpt from a letter I wrote to my parents when they were on their mission, May 7, 1979:

The kids are all getting excited about the ending of school for another year. Steven has registered for his classes in junior high. I think he's made some good progress this year. He's still really sensitive about everything but is gaining more self-confidence. Richard is sure developing into a good little worker. I told Blaine he would be responsible for all the lawn mowing this summer [ORDERS FROM HEADQUARTERS!]--and while he was moaning and groaning about how hard that would be and how he hated to mow lawns, Richard said, "I'll do it!" So while the other kids were in school I trimmed the lawn and Richard cut the rest (except for a little bit that Marilyn helped with). So I told him I'd pay him instead of Blaine if he wanted the job and he keeps asking me when it's time to cut the lawn again. He seems so little to be pushing the mower around, but he does it and does a good job, too! Blaine still likes to read and I have a hard time getting him to do much else. But he is so loveable and sweet. He had a big part on the Primary Sacrament Meeting Program and really did a wonderful job on that. Marilyn also had a speaking part and learned it on her own without any help from me. At the first practice she was the only one who had their part learned and could say it without any hesitation or help. And I hadn't even listened to her give it before. She is really organized and on the ball. She fixed up a little tablet with columns to record her horse activities for 4-H, listing how much time she spends riding,feeding, grooming, etc. And she's doing real well with her piano lessons. I think she is quite an amazing gal (this is her mother speaking!). Richard graduated from Kindergarten last week and it's been fun having him home to play with Christina and Douglas in the mornings. Steven went with the Scouts a couple weeks ago on his first over-nighter. It was their Cave Man Cook-out. I guess it was quite an educational experience. He said they took two live chickens with them and had to kill and clean them before they could make their chicken stew for supper. He said it was about 11 o'clock before they finally ate the stew. I guess they really had fun, though."

I don't know why, but it always amazes me when I go back and read what I wrote about the kids at various times, how their basic personalities, likes and dislikes have stayed pretty much the same through the years. I'm convinced that we come into the world bringing with us who we are are who we've always been. We can grow and change and make progress, but the basics are always there. We have to learn how to deal with that and work with whatever weaknesses and strengths we may have. It's fun to see that in my own little family. I was blessed with a good assortment of kids and I sure do love every one of them!

P.S. Another note about Richard (July 1979): "Richard had an accident at the swimming pool. When he got out and went to the dressing room, the big heavy door swung shut on his left middle finger and really smashed it good! It broke the tip, so he has had a splint on it for the past three weeks. He's a little afraid he might end up with a fingernail like Grandpa Pieper's!"



We met Steve after his Scout Camp and as a family did the Table Rock hike in the Tetons. (Chris and mom did a shorter version of the hike!)

3 comments:

bgtaylor said...

Memories! You've made some good memories for your children and the rest of us. Thanks! Love, Genie

Lorie said...

That was so fun to read. I hope you continue to do more of these. I think it's interesting how you call the kids by their full names.... Stephen, Douglas, Christina. I think it's hilarous how some things never change. (No offense, Blaine.. ha, ha)

Marilyn said...

Mom, it is fun to read your memories. I guess that I have always been pretty good! HA HA.