Tuesday, April 7, 2009

CARLOS and CONFERENCE

Our little resident Marmot made his presence known this past weekend. I was glad that the grandkids got to "meet" him. I don't know if Carlos actually lives under the deck or just hides out there from time to time. I put a few cheerios out for him and he seems to enjoy that treat. I'd like to get him tamed a bit. He really is rather cute! (Nephew Kenton suggested the name "Carlos" because there is a baseball player named Carlos Marmol :)


He makes a fun little chirpping noise. I had heard it before and assumed it was some kind of bird. But we got to hear it up close and personal the other day. Chris and Ryan brought Nepal and Powell over to play with Sunny (Jacob's puppy) and they knew there was something interesting under the deck and went crazy trying to get to Carlos. Nepal especially was really zoned in on Carlos. I hope Carlos wasn't so traumatized that he moved out . . .
We enjoyed the conference weekend with Steve and family, Blaine & Nikki, Chris & Ryan. Nikki brought the lasagne she had made for last week's dinner in Elwood. It was delicious. We all went for a walk together between Sunday conference sessions and "toured" the spring landscape around the pond and windbreak. It still looks kind of ugly, but I'm excited to get out there and mow again! The weather the past couple days has been warmer, so the hope for spring got another shot in the arm.
One of my favorite messages from conference was Elder Oaks' idea on the reason for going to church: "I go to church to think of others, with the intent of making a positive difference in other people's lives" (as opposed to just going and sitting passively through the meetings and leaving without speaking to anyone, etc.). That is going to be my "conference goal" to work on.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Carlos is so cute! And the origin of his name is pretty funny too. He probably helps fill the no dog void that you have there. I liked Elder Oaks' idea too mom, we must be on the same wavelength!

Lorie said...

Sounds like you had a fun-filled weekend. Hope your new pet is still there next time we visit. He really is cute. I agree with Elder Oaks' talk... too often we go to church expecting to receive rather than planning to GIVE.

Steve and Denise said...

Thanks again for the fun weekend. I'm still having issues with Carlos's teeth.