Saturday, April 18, 2009

CANNED SALMON

I'm really enjoying reading my dad's journals (from the time he and Mom came home from their mission). Last night I read a couple entries to Pete--or tried to--I got laughing so hard I was bawling and had trouble reading through the tears.

Sept. 16, 1982: We left at 7 am to go to the cannery in Idaho Falls to supervise the stake salmon canning project. We had to cut and trim the salmon and put the pieces in the can and add water. We were through about 5:30 pm. I went up town to get some garbage cans--deciding to take the trimmings home--there were 2 1/2 cans full of them--thinking that they would make good fertilizer.


Sept. 17: I buried the fish trimmings along the asparagus bed and between the strawberry rows.
Dad and his asparagus "trees."

Sept. 20: The dogs and cats are beginning to dig up the salmon scraps I dug into the garden, so I put the pea vine trellises over the ground so they couldn't get to them."

I've had a few pretty unpleasant experiences volunteering at the cannery, but I can't imagine how awful it would be to be stuck in that place ALL DAY with fish of any kind! Guess that's why I thought Dad's version of the experience was so funny. I wonder how he got those "trimmings" home--in the back seat of the car???? My dad was an AVID gardener, to say the least. I doubt there are many who enjoy it more than he did. His journals are full of 'blow-by-blow' accounts of his gardening projects and experiments. That was his "baby." He even records every delivery of a truckload of manure from Ted's place as well as all the chopped compfrey which he called "green manure" that he tilled into his garden spot. No wonder his garden was so PRODUCTIVE!!!
Happy gardening to his descendants--maybe some of you have inherited his gardening gene.
P.S. Carlos Marmot has gone on to the Happy Hunting Ground for ground dwellers. I was dog-sitting Powell and Nepal while Chris & Ryan were in Las Vegas for their spring break. Apparently the dogs heard the "call of the wild" and couldn't resist going after Carlos. I had to dispose of his lifeless little body--just heaved him "over the edge" to return to nature. Cheerio, Carlos!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I love that old picture of Grandpa with his amazing garden. It looks like a jungle, so those salmon scraps must have done something!