1. Where did you meet?
We were introduced in my sister Genie's apartment at Ricks College. She and her roommate had lined me up with her roommate's former missionary companion. I was a student at BYU in Provo and had come to spend the Ricks Homecoming weekend with Genie--if she'd get me a date!!! After our introduction we went to the Homecoming Concert and Dance. I don't think we did a lot of talking, but I thought he was about the most handsome man I had ever met. Plus, he was nice and not conceited and always talking about what a great missionary he had been (like lots of my returned missionary dates did). That was very refreshing to me.
2. How long did you date?
A little over a year--long distance courtship between Provo and Rexburg, lots of "love" letters!
Our first home in Provo--it was a dump, but we thought we were in Heaven . . .3. How long have you been married? 44 years and counting
4. What does he say that surprises you? "We're getting old!" (actually it seems to surprise him--he just can't quite figure it out!)
5. What is your favorite quality of his?
He really cares about me and my feelings and desires. He always says, "Whatever makes you happy," and then helps work to make all my dreams come true. (And I'm a dreamer, so that's a BIG job!)
6. What is your favorite feature of his?
Several, but I'll choose his hair, since I've spent a lot of time running my fingers through it over the 44 years of hair cuts. And I love that it is now so white and I don't feel that pressure that lots of women do to color their hair so they won't look older than their husband. And since my dad, my father-in-law, and my brother are all pretty bald and my son's have receding hairlines, it seems rather amazing that he still has such a nice head of hair!
7. Does he have a nickname for you?
In the beginning it was "Sweetie," or "Sunshine," or "Sweetie Sunshine." Now it's usually "Honey."
8. What is his favorite color?
I don't think he has one, but a couple of color combinations seem to appeal to him: John Deere green and yellow, and black & white (heiffers)
9. What is his favorite sport?
Has to be horseback riding. He lives for and loves those rides in the mountains. Check out that GORGEOUS halo of white hair--looks pretty angelic!
10. What is his favorite food?
Not sure, but his favorite meal is tossed salad with ranch dressing; steak (seasoned but no steak sauce); baked potato with butter and sour cream--served at Sizzler, or at home. He has always been very complimentary about my cooking, never complaining about anything I fix. He says it's good and will eat whatever, even if it's burned. I did pick up early on that he didn't especially care for corn flakes or mac & cheese--but if that's what we were having, he'd eat it. He also loves ice cream of any kind or flavor, especially home made (he grew up on that because they milked dairy cows at his boyhood home and always had plenty of cream).
11. When and where did you first kiss?
On the front porch in Rigby--it was a "peck and run," kind of like Lorie's. But it made my day!
12. What is your favorite thing to do as a couple?
Work projects around the house and barn or driving somewhere together and talking. Cell phones have wreaked havoc on that because I no longer have his undivided attention! We've enjoyed our travels together over the years (lately he claims he doesn't like to travel, but we always have fun when we do). People have wondered why we wanted to take our kids on trips because of all the close-quarters fighting, etc. I knew that they would fight if we stayed home, too, so it was nice to at least be in different places and get to see some new things. The best thing about traveling with Peter is having him all to ourselves; I loved how much he did for and with the kids on our trips, giving me a REAL vacation!
13. Do you have children?
Yes--we were blessed with 7 amazing children in our family. Sometimes after talking to one of them now, he remarks: "You sure have some great kids!" I have to remind them that they're his, too.
Steve & his Dad at University Village in Salt Lake.
Blaine snuggling with his dad in the Shelley living room.

Marilyn and Peter in the Salt Lake Avenues house.
Chris and her dad with the catch of the day--on the Salmon River, Idaho.
Richard teasing his Dad and flashing that big grin!
Doug getting fit for a horse ride with Dad--Pepper was a good mount.
Sorry, Debbie, this isn't your most beautiful pose (I did crop the bottom of the photo to keep the G-rated blog)--but you'll have to agree that your dad is giving you lots of tender, loving care with a sink bath while camping in the Stanley area.
14. Does he have a hidden talent?
He has a really good singing voice, but has never done enough with it to know how to read parts of music. But he can sit next to someone in a choir and follow their lead.
15. How old is he?
66+
16. Who said, "I love you" first?
I can't remember, but he says it way more often than I do. When Doug died and many family and friends came to console us and said "I love you," I was really impressed with how good that made me feel and I've tried to say it more.
17. What's his favorite type of music?
I'm not sure. He really hasn't ever listened to music just for the fun of it that I'm aware of. I know he loves hearing me play the piano, or the kids perform.
18. What do you admire most about him?
He is steady and hard working; never seems to tire or complain about having too much to do. And he is so nice to medical personnel and patients who call him in the middle of the night; he never complains about going to help someone. He is also very positive with a happy outlook on life. HE IS A GREAT MAN!!! I have been VERY blessed to have him in my life--don't know what I did to deserve him.
19. Do you think he will read this?
No. He's never figured out how to turn on the computer and doesn't want to.
6 comments:
Awwww... I'm so glad you did this. I love the photos of the young kids with their Dad. Don't forget how lucky his is to have YOU, Arlene. You are both so wonderful and have raised amazing kids (who then chose amazing spouses--ha, ha). Love the one with the boots-- didn't know he was a fisherman.
That was a great tribute to a great Dad and grandpa. I loved seeing the photos too. You two did raise an amazing family together.
This was a lot of fun to read and actually brought a tear to my eye! Those old pictures are a lot of fun. I don't recall ever seeing a couple of them. I really like dad's white hair too! Oh and thanks for keeping my privates "private":)
P.S. Jacob was excited to see the picture of Blaine wearing a Rams shirt!
Debbbie--sounds like we'll continue to have more "private" jokes in the future!
Arlene, I loved reading this blog and I agree that you and Pete are a wonderful match, that you've had a great life together and have blessed the world with amazing children and grandchildren. I'm grateful that we've had a part in your life. I love you all, Genie
Post a Comment