I loved waking up to a misty morning. The backyard looked magical and kind of enchanted.
Not so enchanting was the 45 caliber bullet hole in our bedroom window!
I discovered it one morning when I opened the curtains--first I saw the crack and thought a bird had hit the window. Upon further investigation, it was obvious that it had been more than a bird! There was a good-sized hole through two layers of glass and then through the screen. As far as I could tell, there was no other damage--grateful for that! I looked under and around the bed, but didn't see a bullet. The next morning I looked around some more and found it on the floor below the west bedroom windows. Something about seeing a bullet in my bedroom freaked me out more than the hole in the window. I called Pete and told him that I had found the bullet and asked him to call the sheriff to come and check it out. I was worried that someone may be shooting in our backyard!
Shortly after Pete called, two detectives from the Bingham County Sheriff's office arrived and began their investigation. They asked me lots of questions and one took notes in his notebook; the other one photographed the bullet from different angles, the room, and the window that the bullet came through. Then he picked up the bullet and measured it and declared it a 45 caliber from either a pistol or a rifle. He then dropped the bullet into a plastic zip-lock baggie--ooh, it was just like in the movies! Looking around a little more they said they believed that the bullet came from across the river and that it was mostly spent when it came through the window and was just a random stray shot. I didn't hear anything, so I may not have been home when it happened. Marco had washed the windows two weeks previously, so it happened sometime in that two-week period. The curtains had been closed most of that time, so I hadn't noticed it before. The detectives proomised to have a patrolman come by regularly and keep an eye on the hunters in the area; they were also going to notify Fish & Game. They gave me their personal card with a direct line to Detective Marvin if I needed to call for any reason. That makes me feel safer. It was very exciting, but I get jumpy when I hear gun shots now. I never have liked hearing them, and now it's worse. I'm sure our repetitious prayers asking to be watched over and protected are answered more often than we know. I'm very grateful.

5 comments:
Beautiful Pics. Wow, glad that you are all OK--that is freaky about the bullet.
Can't believe it. Jon gets sooo mad when he hears shots down on the river.
Misty morning...craziness!! So glad you're all OK. I agree, I'm sure there's many times we're "watched" over without being aware...every now and then, we seen to notice!
There must have been "x's" in the sky that day!
I'm sure you're right, Lorie.
Post a Comment