Monday, March 7, 2011

What a Wonderful World!

March 3, 4, 5 turned into a delightful adventure for me. Pete and I drove to Elwood Thursday afternoon and spent the night there. Early Friday morning we headed south in the red Cannon van--Peter driving, Arlene in the co-pilot seat, Steve behind Peter as back-up driver, Jacob across from Steve and Isaac bringing up the rear in the far-back seat--which led to an "ugly" experience, as noted in Steve's blog. Isaac was such a good sport and kept us all laughing the whole trip. I was excited when we arrived at Moab to find a really nice motel with a comfy king-size bed. I can handle other aspects of "camping," but not sleeping in a tent! So I was definitely a happy camper. (Pete seemed very happy as well to join me, even though he had brought along his sleeping bag in case he decided to sleep out with the MEN!) The camp site was not far from the motel, but seemed to be in another world.

Isaac and Jacob near their camp on the banks of the Colorado River--very scenic:

We decided this balanced rock looked like a football on a tee just waiting for a GIANT of a football star to come along and launch it into outer space:
This was my view of the Delicate Arch (below). I didn't go on the 3-mile hike with the boys, but did a smaller hike (1/2 mile) across the valley from them. Also while they were gone I drove through the rest of Arches National Monument. Soooooooooooooo beautiful!
While Steve and the boys set up their tent, Pete and I went back into town to purchase some firewood. After a chili supper at the camp and a "scout skit" where Grandpa got suckered into being a big jerk, we headed to our motel for a nice warm bath and soft bed. Pete left very early the next morning to join the boys for breakfast and a hike while I slept in, read my mystery novel, and enjoyed a leisurely and delicious breakfast. Grandpa felt sorry for the guys just having bacon and croissants for breakfast, so he loaded up with scrambled eggs, hash browns, muffins, butter, and hot chocolate mix from the "free" breakfast bar at the motel and took "servins" to the campers.
We then headed for Goblin Valley--something I've always wanted to see. And it was worth the side trip, for sure. What an amazing place. Pete didn't go as far into the goblin maze as the rest of us, due to a call of nature.
Here's Isaac in silhouette . . .

. . . and posing with a duck goblin:

I didn't make it as far into the valley as Steve, Jacob and Isaac. They climbed this huge rock--you can barely see them on top:

The rest of the trip was just driving and driving through one awesome scene after another. I loved every minute of it. The weather was perfect, 55-60 degrees and mostly sunny.
Finally made it back home to Shelley around midnight. Thanks for the happy memories!

No comments: