Sunday, April 11, 2010

CALL OF THE WILD . . . AGAIN!

I was on my way to church this morning and noticed something furry in Fritz's "dog house." I wondered if he had killed something and brought it home to play with! I went for a closer look and a cute little face looked up at me and smiled . . . "this is MY home now!" It was the biggest raccoon I've ever seen "in person." And he was in no hurry to vacate his new lodgings. Just rolled over, licked his paws, and gazed out at me. I ran into the house to get my camera knowing that nobody would believe this! So he just posed for me and even the flash didn't seem to bother him. He just wasn't going to give up his new home sweet home!

Pretty soon Fritz came trotting over from the barn. He looked around and started barking at the interloper. Then he went around the back and poked his nose into his den and started barking some more. But the newcomer didn't budge.

Finally, Fritz grabbed the little coon around the neck and pulled it out of HIS house! I didn't know what to do. They got into a terrible fight. I kept calling Fritz, but he wouldn't let loose of the critter. He'd shake it and the coon just clung to Fritz's head. Fritz looked like he had a great big furry head. Guess that's what a dog would look like in a coon-skin cap :)

Fritz dragged him out on the lawn and they kept fighting. Soon the raccoon was shrieking and making the most awful sounds. I was sure Fritz wouldn't quit until he killed the coon and I couldn't stand to watch any more, so I went off to church, rather upset to my stomach! And I was worried that Fritz might get hurt, too.
Well, I was late for church by this time, and out in the foyer I met Brian Huntsman and his family and started talking to him and I told him about what had just happened. He offered to go over and check things out and I was grateful for his help. (Pete was at the hospital in surgery . . . a pretty normal Sunday morning event for him.) Brian went in and got his brother Robert and the two left on their mission of mercy.
When they got back Robert told me that when they got there the two animals were still fighting, but that Fritz came up to them when they got out of their car. So Brian held on to Fritz while Robert got a stick and tried to push the raccoon over the edge of the cliff and down towards the river. He said the coon was still able to walk but didn't seem to be in any hurry to get away.
Fritz looks like he's had a rough day and is a bit gimpy! But there was no blood, so I guess he's OK. Hopefully he won't tackle any big ones like that again!

2 comments:

Lorie said...

I just read this to Drew and we are both laughing out loud. Glad Fritz is okay! Don't you love things like that that give life a little spice.

Arlene said...

Oh yeah. I think I could do without the extra spice!