We were all surprised with a snow storm just before Pete's birthday. Ryan went out to play in the snow and created a snow man and cake for the birthday boy. They didn't last long, but were a fun surprise!
After MY great surprise birthday party, the family decided we needed to try and surprise Pete for his 70th birthday. When I heard him talking to Steve on the phone a few days before his birthday and saying: "Are you coming to my SURPRISE party?" I knew our attempts to surprise him had failed. So he wasn't surprised that we were having a party for him--we had to let him know or he wouldn't have come--but there were still a few surprises in store for him. He got wind that Marilyn was coming, but Debbie showing up as well was definitely a surprise! It was pretty cool that all of his kids were there--Doug was probably hovering around close by :)
Everyone helped make the party a success: Marilyn's painted pheasant with detachable head was a fun target for the kids and their arrows. Chris provided the table decor with yellow and green "John Deere" balloons and a few black spots for the "cows" to wear. Lorie created a beautiful pasture cake that also tasted delicious. Marilyn mixed up the Lemon-O while Debbie cooked the freemartin sloppy joes and Steve filled up the cow pinata with candy for the kids. Arlene furnished tortillas for everyone to toss towards the river. There was a good breeze and many of the tortilla-frisbees didn't make it very far from the tosser. Fritz was delighted as he happily retrieved all those he could sink his teeth into. We played Jenkins and family basketball, wrote P-mails to Peter, and Blaine serenaded his dad with an original song:
Peter . . . it's your birthday. You just hit Seven-O
Fill our glasses . . . lift them up. Let's drink some Lemon-O!
A white dress shirt and black sweat pants, It's Sunday afternoon.
Hop on one leg, punch the air . . . dance around the room, dance around the room.
Saddle up a horse, ride the trail, check out the view
But he's "on call," hurry back to town, and soon he's cuttin' on you!
Take Grandma to Sizzler, get the Senior Discout. There's no better date.
Drive the pickup to the Cinder Butte Feedlot, Oh life is great, Oh life is great!
Each P-Mail is like a Picasso, a masterpiece, no doubt.
Happy Birthday, Grandpa, Happy Birthday Grandpa, Let's give a shout! Let's give a shout!
The partying kept up for several days while Marilyn and Debbie were in town. It was a GREAT week!



4 comments:
What a great time! I love my family!
I'm so glad that I was there with all of you. I am crying tears of joy right now. What a great family--I love you all!
what fun memories to re-live. I still loved Drew's comment, " I didn't now that a party for an old man could be so much FUN!". Truly, we all had lots of fun.
So glad I was there to celebrate with everyone. Thanks to all for making it such a fun party and relaxing vacation! I love my family too:)
Post a Comment